Friday, April 22, 2011

Frugal Friday Tip

Stretching Laundry Detergent & Fabric Softener
There are many recipes out there on the internet to make your own laundry detergent. I have made my own before but I'm not really into that whole "snotty" mixture so I have resorted back to the commercial type.
Here is how I make it stretch:
I buy Purex at Walmart. It cost me less than $8 for 150 fl. oz.
I take that Purex detergent & pour half of it into each of these old bottles.
They hold 150 fl. oz. each.
Then I fill each bottle to the top with water, replace the lid & give it a little shake to mix the water & detergent.
So I get 300 fl. oz. of detergent for under $8!
I also do the same with my fabric softener. I buy Gain (because I LOVE the scent!) for around $8.50 at Walmart. Sometimes I get it cheaper if I have a coupon.
I pour half of the Gain into an old detergent bottle. (You can see an FS on the blue bottle. That's so the kids don't get confused as to which one is fabric softener & which one is detergent when they are doing their laundry.)
Then I fill the blue bottle up with water & shake it to get it all mixed up. Our laundry comes out just as clean & scented as it used to before stretching it!

3 comments:

  1. You would be amazed at how soft your clothes would be without any fabric softener. I stopped using it completely about 18 years ago because of my formaldehyde sensitivity (the active ingredient). I came to the conclusion that I had been wasting my money on softeners that I didn't need at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do get soft? Years ago my husband lost his job of 10 yrs. & so finances were REALLY tight then & I started using plain vinegar in place of the softener & my husband knew there was something different about his clothes! Maybe I will try using nothing & see if anyone knows the difference. I do like the smell that the Gain fabric softener leaves behind tho. :)
    Thanks for visiting!
    Stop in again soon!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to allow time for the softeners to get washed out of the fabrics to see the difference. So much better for you too because you will not be coating your clothes with formaldehyde after every wash. I picture being enbalmed by the clothes I wear :(

    ReplyDelete